The name Eiffe appeared for the first time in 1826 in Brussels, when it operated barge services between Belgium and the Netherlands. By 1843 the firm Eiffe & Co was acting as forwarding agent and in 1876 it moved its headquarters to Antwerp.
It subsequently became one of the leading shipping agents in the 20st century. From family business it moved into ownership of the holding company Ibel in the seventies, and activities were subsequently integrated within the Ahlers Group.
Eiffe NV operates today as sister company of Ahlers for selected principals and projects.